UC IRVINE DELEGATION OF AUTHORITY
IDA032 - Employment Limitation Waiver for Graduate Students
July 21, 1995
VICE CHANCELLOR FOR RESEARCH AND DEAN OF GRADUATE STUDIES
ASSISTANT DEAN OF GRADUATE STUDIES
RE: Delegation of Authority - Waive Employment Limitation for Graduate Students
Academic Personnel Manual, Section 410-17b., authorizes the Chancellor to make exceptions to the term of appointment to the title of teaching assistant or teaching fellow. I am redelegating to the Vice Chancellor for Research and Dean of Graduate Studies and the Assistant Dean of Graduate Studies, the authority to waive the half-time (50 percent) employment limitation for graduate students employed on University-administered funds subject to the following conditions:
- Waivers shall be based on:
- extreme financial need of the student, or
- need of the department/school for the student's particular abilities,
- a combination of a. and b.
- Under no circumstances shall employment on University-administered funds in any position or combination of positions exceed three-fourths (75 percent) time.
- All waivers shall be granted for a specific period of time but not to exceed appointment terms as set forth in Section 410-17a. - c. of the Academic Personnel Manual.
- All waivers shall be subject to academic review.
This authority may not be redelegated and supersedes the April 10, 1986 delegation of authority from Chancellor Peltason on the same subject.
Laurel L. Wilkening
cc: Executive Vice Chancellor
Assistant Vice Chancellor-Accounting and Fiscal Services
Academic Personnel Office
Counsel to the Chancellor
Director, Internal Audit
Coordinator, Campus Administrative Policies