UC IRVINE DELEGATION OF AUTHORITY
IDA098 - Student Gov't Associations' Business/Financial Operations
July 21, 1995
PRESIDENT, ASSOCIATED STUDENTS UCI
PRESIDENT, ASSOCIATED GRADUATE STUDENTS
PRESIDENT, ASSOCIATED MEDICAL STUDENTS
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, STUDENT GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATIONS
RE: Delegation of Authority - Student Government Associations' Business and Financial Operations
The University of California Policies Applying to Campus Activities, Organizations, and Students; and the student government associations' constitutions approved by the Chancellor establish the student government associations of the University of California, Irvine as an integral part of the University of California, Irvine. Accordingly, the ASUCI president, the AGS president, the AMS president, and the Executive Director, Student Government Associations are delegated, jointly, certain authority, as set forth below, for conducting the business and financial operations of the student government associations:
- Establish and maintain separate business functions and maintain bank checking accounts, savings accounts, and independent inventory control. All business and financial activities will be consistent with University and campus policies and procedures and in accordance with published guidelines for the expenditures of ASUCI, AGS, and AMS funds approved by the Chancellor, and subject to the following:
- Approval of expenditures of ASUCI, AGS, or AMS funds shall be in accordance with a budget approved by the ASUCI, AGS, or AMS Council and the Chancellor.
- Establishment and maintenance of financial books shall be in accordance with sound business practices and subject to prior format review and approval by the Assistant Vice Chancellor-Accounting and Fiscal Services or the Assistant Vice Chancellor's designated representative.
- Receipt of income and deposit of such shall be in a manner consistent with University and campus policy. Cash handling procedures will be subject to prior review and approval by the Assistant Vice Chancellor-Accounting and Fiscal Services or the Assistant Vice Chancellor's designated representative.
- Preparation of detailed biannual guidelines for expenditures of ASUCI, AGS, or AMS funds shall be consistent with University and campus policy and shall be reviewed by the Vice Chancellor-Student Services, and approved by the Assistant Vice Chancellor-Accounting and Fiscal Services.
- At the close of each fiscal year a financial report of ASUCI, AGS, and AMS income and expenditures will be prepared and submitted to the Vice Chancellors and the Chancellor and be made available to the students.
- In all other respects, the ASUCI, AGS and AMS will function within University and campus policies and procedures as set forth in the Irvine Campus Policy and Procedures Manual.
- The Assistant Vice Chancellor-Accounting and Fiscal Services or the Assistant Vice Chancellor's designated representative. is authorized to collect The Regents' approved student government membership fee from each registered student. Ninety percent (90%) of the student government fees collected each quarter by the University shall be transferred to the student governments immediately after the deadline for payment of fees without penalty, and the remaining ten percent (10%) will be transferred following reconciliation of General University fees collected.
- The Director of Internal Audit is responsible for conducting regular audits, and special audits as requested, of the student government books and business activities (i.e., purchasing practices, ticket sales, contracts administration, personnel employment-recruitment, etc.) and submitting audit reports to the Chancellor through the appropriate administrative channels.
This authority may not be redelegated further and supersedes Chancellor Peltason's March 17, 1986 delegation of authority on Associated Students of the University of California, Irvine (ASUCI) Business and Financial Operations.
Laurel L. Wilkening
cc: Executive Vice Chancellor
Vice Chancellor-Administrative and Business Services
Vice Chancellor-Student Services
Assistant Vice Chancellor-Accounting and Fiscal Services
Student Services Business Officer
Counsel to the Chancellor
Director, Internal Audit
Coordinator, Campus Administrative Policies