UC IRVINE DELEGATION OF AUTHORITY
IDA321 - Sabbatical Leaves
July 14, 2000
RE: Redelegation - Sabbatical Leaves
Authority for academic personnel actions was delegated to the Executive Vice Chancellor by the Chancellor in his delegation of authority, dated July 3, 2000 [superseded by IDA 517, 6/19/12]. I am redelegating part of that authority to Academic Deans, as specified below.
Effective immediately, I am redelegating to you the responsibility for review and approval of sabbatical leaves for faculty members in your units. Sabbaticals must be consistent with systemwide and local policy.
I draw your attention in particular to the following policy sections of the Academic Personnel Manual:
- Restrictions on sabbatical leave (APM 740-16)
- Limitations on other employment during sabbatical leave (APM 740-19)
- Teaching requirement for sabbatical leave in residence (APM 740-8-b) Note that 199's, 299's, and other similar courses are not normally considered to be equivalent to regularly scheduled courses, and so do not meet the teaching requirement for sabbatical leave in residence.
Authority for the following will remain in my office:
- Approval of sabbatical leaves for Deans and the Chair of ICS
- Requests for delay of return to University service immediately following sabbatical leave (APM 740-16-d)
- Requests to accrue sabbatical credits in excess of the maximum (30 credits for academic year appointees, 40 credits for fiscal year appointees)
- Any other exceptions to policy
Deans' offices will have responsibility for maintaining records concerning sabbaticals for faculty in their units. Approved documentation for sabbaticals must be forwarded to the Office of Academic Personnel prior to the effective date of the leave. Academic Personnel will remain the office of record for this documentation.
This authority may not be further redelegated and supersedes my delegation of authority on the same subject, dated October 21, 1985.
William J. Lillyman
Executive Vice Chancellor
cc: Special Assistant-Coordination and Review, Office of the President
Assistant Vice Chancellor-Accounting and Fiscal Services
Director, Internal Audit
Counsel to the Chancellor
Coordinator, Campus Administrative Policies