UC IRVINE DELEGATION OF AUTHORITY
IDA324 - Travel, Authorize and Approve
May 8, 2001
CAMPUS OFFICERS AND ADMINISTRATORS
RE: Delegation of Authority to Authorize and Approve Travel
It is the policy of the University that all official travel shall be properly authorized, reported, and reimbursed in accordance with Business and Finance Bulletin, G-28. Under no circumstances shall expenses for personal travel be charged to, or be temporarily funded by, the University. When a University employee travels under the sponsorship of a non-University entity, the travel expenses shall not be charged to a University account. University employees traveling on official business shall observe normally accepted standards of propriety in the type and manner of expenses to incur. Any payment made to an employee in connection with official travel shall not result in additional taxable income to the employee. Accordingly, University travel reimbursement procedures are designed to conform with the substantiation rules published by the Internal Revenue Service.
The following delegations of authority are subject to the conditions and limitations set forth below and to all University and campus travel and leave of absence policies and procedures.
Department heads are delegated the authority to authorize within-policy travel for faculty, staff, and students, and to approve travel advances and expenses which are consistent with University policy and funded from fund sources within their areas of responsibility. This authority may not be redelegated.
Conditions and Limitations
- Authorization shall be obtained prior to undertaking travel. Refer to Campus Policy & Procedures Manual, Section 715-15 for procedures. Forms are available from the Storehouse.
- Persons delegated approval authority may neither authorize nor approve their own travel. They must obtain approval for travel advances and expenses from the next higher level of delegated authority.
- Travel Expense Vouchers shall not be accepted for payment by the Accounting Office without authorized approval.
- Payment of travel advances and expenses are subject to all University and campus travel policies and procedures.
- Travel funded under sponsored projects or intramural grants must conform to the limitations prescribed by the sponsoring agency or intramural organization. When the travel regulations of a sponsoring agency or intramural organization differ from University policies, the more restrictive regulations shall apply.
- For federal contracts:
- Principal Investigators have the primary responsibility for compliance with Federal Travel Regulations, for seeing that travel expenses charged to federal contracts are sufficiently substantiated and are submitted for reimbursement in accordance with University guidelines.
- Departments/Units are responsible for ensuring that (1) documentation of travel expenses claimed for reimbursement is adequate; (2) rates applied are correct; and (3) compliance is made with requirements of the given fund source and University guidelines.
- Accounting is responsible for reviewing and processing travel reimbursements in accordance with standard University procedures. The review process does not, however, negate or diminish any potential liabilities resulting from noncompliance by campus departments or principal investigators.
Executive Vice Chancellor
Director, UCI Medical Center
Associate Executive Vice Chancellor
Associate Vice Chancellors
Assistant Vice Chancellors
Dean, University Extension and Director, Summer Sessions
Chair, Department of Information and Computer Science
Director, Department of Education
Director of Athletics
The Executive Vice Chancellor, the Associate Executive Vice Chancellor, Vice Chancellors, and the Executive Director, UCI Medical Center only may redelegate the authority to approve exceptions to one deputy administrator. Any such redelegation shall be in writing with copies to the list below.
These delegations supersede Chancellor Wilkening's July 1, 1995 delegation of authority to authorize and approve travel (IDA 016).
Ralph J. Cicerone
|cc:||Executive Vice Chancellor
Assistant Vice Chancellor-Accounting and Fiscal Services
Counsel to the Chancellor
Director, Internal Audit
Director, Internal Controls
Policy & Procedures Coordinator