UC IRVINE DELEGATION OF AUTHORITY
IDA409 - Appointment of Department Chairs
April 11, 2005
Re: Redelegation of Authority - Appointment of Department Chairs
Authority for academic personnel actions was delegated to the Executive Vice Chancellor by the Chancellor in his delegation of authority, dated July 3, 2000 [superseded by IDA 517, 6/19/12]. I am redelegating part of that authority to you, as specified below.
I am delegating to Academic Deans authority, within University and campus policy, for the following:
- Appointment and reappointment of department chairs up to five years where the appointee is a member of the Academic Senate.
- Appointment of acting and interim chairs.
- Appointment, reappointment, and termination of vice chairs.
- Approval of compensation for department chairs, acting chairs, and interim chairs, including stipend levels up to a maximum to be determined by the Executive Vice Chancellor.
- Approval of compensation for vice chairs, within the restriction that the total compensation of a chair and vice chair in a department may not exceed the maximum permissible stipend.
- Stipend changes made during the year must be within your own budget allocation, and should in future be addressed in the context of your annual budget submission.
All actions must be consistent with current systemwide and local policies and must be reported to the Executive Vice Chancellor for information at the time the actions are taken. You are reminded that all administrative appointments, regardless of salary or percent of time, require that affirmative action be considered, and that the Assistant Executive Vice Chancellor for Equal Opportunity and Diversity approve the search statement before the appointment is made.
Authority for the following remains in my office:
- Reappointment and termination of department chairs following a fifth year review.
- Any exceptions to the maximum stipend level.
- Any exceptions to policy.
This authority may not be further redelegated and supersedes Executive Vice Chancellor Lillyman's delegation of authority on the same subject, dated July 14, 2000.
Michael R. Gottfredson
Executive Vice Chancellor
|cc:||Special Assistant-Coordination and Review, Office of the President
Assistant Vice Chancellor-Accounting and Fiscal Services
Director, Internal Audit
Counsel to the Chancellor
Coordinator, Campus Administrative Policies