UC IRVINE DELEGATION OF AUTHORITY
IDA545 - Use of University Name and Seals, Campus Name and Seals and Trademarks
April 4, 2013
PLANNING AND BUDGET
ASSOCIATE VICE CHANCELLOR
RE: Delegation of Authority - Use of University Name and Seals, Campus Name and Seals and TrademarksUse of University's Name
The authority to permit the uses of the campus name and the University's unofficial seal was delegated to Chancellors in Presidential Delegation of Authority DA 0864, May 3, 1985 and DA 0865, May 3, 1985.
I am redelegating to the Vice Chancellor-Planning and Budget and Associate Vice Chancellor-Strategic Communications the authorities stated below which should be exercised in accordance with University policy and Section 700-20, Policy on Use of University Name and Seals, Campus Names and Seal and Trademarks, in the UC Irvine Administrative Policies & Procedures:
- Monitor and enforce the proper use of the Campus Names, the Unofficial UC Seal, the UC Irvine Seal, and the Trademarks;
- Permit commercial and non-commercial uses of the Campus Names, the UC Irvine Seal, and the Trademarks, and the non-commercial use of the Unofficial UC Seal;
- Negotiate, execute, adminster, and monitor licenses for commercial use of the Campus Names, the UC Irvine Seal, and the Trademarks;
- Permit the manufacture, distribution and sale of Merchandise, on or off campus;
- Monitor sales of Merchandise on and off campus;
- Collect and manage royalty income and administer related expenses for all licensed commercial uses;
- Register the Trademarks; and
- Resolve disputes relating to use of the Campus Names, the Unofficial UC Seal, the UC Irvine Seal, and the Trademarks.
These authorities may be redelegated to the Director-Trademark and Licensing.
The Associate Vice Chancellor-Strategic Communications is authorized to:
- Approve proposed uses of the University's Name, the Campus Names, and any other campus identifier in advertisements, in motion pictures or television broadcasts and other promotional contexts, and in connection with permits issued for filming that identifies the campus; and
- In consultation with the Vice Chancellor-Planning and Budget or Director-Trademark and Licensing, permit the use of the Campus Names, the Unofficial Seal, the UC Irvine Seal, the Trademarks or any other campus identifier (e.g., archival materials, photographs, images) for public relations purposes that are in the best interests of the University.
Authority to approve exceptions to campus policy as stated in Section 700-20 is delegated to the Vice Chancellor-Planning and Budget.
This delegation of authority supersedes the January 6, 2009 delegation on the same topic (IDA 470) and Vice Chancellor Brase's January 9, 2009 redelegation (IDA 471).
Susan V. Bryant
|C:||Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost
Vice Chancellor, Administrative & Business Services
Vice Chancellor, University Advancement
Vice Chancellor, Research
Vice Chancellor, Student Affairs
Dean, School of Medicine
Director, Intercollegiate Athletics
Director, Trademark and Licensing
Associate Executive Vice Chancellor
Chief Campus Counsel
Director, Internal Audit
Administrative Policies Officer