UC IRVINE DELEGATION OF AUTHORITY
IDA562 - Authority to Solicit and Accept Gifts
June 12, 2015
VICE CHANCELLOR-UNIVERSITY ADVANCEMENT
SENIOR ASSISTANT VICE CHANCELLOR-UNIVERSITY ADVANCEMENT
STRATEGIC PLANNING AND ADMINISTRATION
DIRECTOR OF BUSINESS AND FINANCIAL OPERATIONS
DIRECTOR OF GIFT SERVICES
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF GIFT SERVICES
MANAGER OF GIFT ADMINISTRATION
RE: Redelegation of Authority - To Solicit and Accept Gifts
The authority to solicit and accept gifts was delegated to Chancellors by Presidential Delegation DA 2588, dated May 4, 2015. I am redelegating to the Vice Chancellor-University Advancement, the authority to solicit and accept gifts up to and including a value of $1 million, with the exceptions noted below. The Senior Assistant Vice Chancellor-University Advancement Strategic Planning and Administration; the Director of Business and Financial Operations, University Advancement; the Director of Gift Services, University Advancement; the Assistant Director of Gift Services, University Advancement; and the Manager of Gift Administration, University Advancement, are redelegated authority to accept gifts up to and including a value of $1 million, with the exceptions noted below.
Regental authorization is required for solicitation or acceptance of any gift that involves:
Exceptions to approved University programs and policies or obligations on the part of the University to expenditures or costs for which there is no established fund source or which require the construction of facilities not previously approved [Standing Order 100.4(dd)(1)];
Regental, Presidential or Chief Investment Office authorization, as appropriate, is required for solicitation or acceptance of any gift that involves an interest in real property [Bylaws 21.3(j)(2) and 21.4(o) and Standing Order 100.4(gg)].
The authority to act under this redelegation is subject to the following conditions:
- Whenever there is any ambiguity in the terms of a gift proposal or other question as to its legal effect, the matter shall be referred to the General Counsel and Vice President for Legal Affairs by the Vice Chancellor-University Advancement, with approval of the Chancellor, for interpretation and advice. If there is any doubt whether gift terms comply with the policies of the University, including those set forth in the Development Reference Guide, the questions shall be referred to the Assistant Vice President for Institutional Advancement for interpretation and advice prior to acceptance. Whenever the solicitation or acceptance of a gift might have an effect upon academic programs or Academic Senate responsibilities, the matter must be discussed with the Provost/Executive Vice Chancellor and the dean or director of the relevant unit before the gift is accepted.
- Gifts to The Regents shall be accepted, administered, documented, and reported in accordance with established University policies, guidelines, and procedures.
- Gifts to Campus Foundations shall be accepted, administered, documented, and reported in accordance with the September 15, 1995 (last amended September 22, 2005) 5203: Policy on Support Groups, Campus Foundations, and Alumni Associations and the February 12, 2004 Administrative Guidelines for Campus Foundations.
- Gifts to University support groups shall be accepted, administered, documented, and reported in accordance with the September 15, 1995 (last amended September 22, 2005) Policy on Support Groups, Campus Foundations, and Alumni Associations and the Administrative Guidelines for Support Groups established on February 12, 2004, as updated on October 24, 2012.
- Gifts to The Regents or to any unit thereof shall be accepted in the name and become the property of The Regents of the University of California.
- Gifts of $1 million and more to The Regents, the Campus Foundations, and the University Support Groups shall be reported quarterly to the President by the Chancellor.
- Capital improvement projects included in the gift are subject to approval of the site and design of the projects after completion of the environmental impact review process in accordance with the California Environmental Quality Act.
For purposes of this delegation, the dollar amount of a gift shall be the amount of cash actually received; or, if in the form of a pledge, the full amount pledged; or shall be equivalent to the fair market value of securities or personal property. The term gift shall be used as defined in the Review of Gifts and Grants for Research issued by the President on July 8, 1980 (attached).
This delegation of authority does not cover authority to solicit, accept, or execute certain extramural research, training, and public service contracts and grants, which is covered in IDA537, dated May 4, 2012.
This authority may not be redelegated further and supersedes Chancellor Wilkening's April 13, 1998 delegation on the same subject (IDA 235).
cc: General Counsel and Vice President for Legal Affairs
Assistant Vice President-Institutional Advancement
Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor
Chief Executive Officer, UCI Medical Center
Assistant Vice Chancellor, Accounting and Fiscal Services
Assistant Vice Chancellor, Research Administration
Chief Campus Counsel, Campus Counsel, and Chief Health Sciences Counsel
Director, Internal Audit
Manager of Administrative Policies