PERSONNEL PROCEDURES FOR UC IRVINE STAFF MEMBERS
Procedure 24: Per Diem Positions
Responsible Office: Human Resources
Issued: November 2002
Personnel Policies for Staff Members
- Policy 3, Types of Appointment
- Policy 12, Nondiscrimination in Employment
- Policy 24, Per Diem Positions
- Policy 31, Hours of Work
- Policy 32, Overtime
- Policy 36, Classification of Positions
- Policy 43, Leave of Absence, Sections B and C
- Policy 45, Military Leave
- Policy 46, Administrative Leave, Section C
- Policy 80, Staff Personnel Records
- Policy 82, Conflict of Interest
- Per Diem employees are not subject to Personnel Policies for Staff Members except as noted in Policy 24E, regardless of the duration and percentage of time worked. Although some method of recording performance evaluation information may be required for compliance with external agencies, a formal performance appraisal is not otherwise appropriate. Per Diem employees work on an as-needed basis and, therefore, should not be given any assurances of continued employment. They should also not be given future scheduling guarantees based upon satisfactory performance.
- A Per Diem employee's eligibility for scheduling may be discontinued at any time without notice and without cause.
- Per Diem employees will typically be appointed to departments with in-house temporary employment pools where assignments will vary according to job description, location, duration and percentage of time. Departments who have a need for temporary or part-time workers, where the terms and conditions of employment are preestablished and regular, will generally use career, limited or contract appointments as appropriate.
All staff members, except Senior Managers and employees who are in a bargaining unit that has an exclusive representative (union) and are covered by the applicable provisions of the collective bargaining agreement.