PERSONNEL PROCEDURES FOR UC IRVINE STAFF MEMBERS
Absence From Work
Procedure 40: Holidays
Responsible Office: Human Resources
Revised: May 2012
Personnel Policies for Staff Members
UCI Delegations of Authority
- IDA334, Exceptions to Staff Policy 40.D.2., Compensation for Holiday Work
B. Authority and Responsibility
Department heads are responsible for assuring that all eligible employees receive holiday pay in accordance with the provisions outlined in Personnel Policies for Staff Members, Absence From Work Policy.
Holiday - Holidays are considered to extend over a 24-hour period, but no employee may receive more than eight hours of holiday pay for each designated holiday.
Quadriweekly Cycles - Two biweekly pay periods designated by the University to be considered as a unit for the purpose of leave accrual.
- All holiday pay shall be based on the total hours on pay status in the month or quadriweekly cycle (two biweekly pay periods) and shall be calculated at the end of the cycle.
To determine monthly and quadriweekly holiday pay, see Holiday Pay Table.
- All holiday pay shall be paid at the second biweekly period of the quadriweekly cycle.
- An eligible part-time employee will receive holiday pay equal to the number of hours the employee normally would have worked that day. Employees with an alternate work schedule are allowed a maximum of eight hours of holiday pay.
- If an employee becomes sick on a holiday, the employee will receive only holiday pay, and their sick leave shall not be charged.
- If a holiday occurs when an employee is on a leave of absence, temporary layoff, or furlough that does not exceed twenty calendar days, the employee shall be entitled to no more than eight hours of holiday pay, regardless of the number of hours on pay status.
- Employees may request use of vacation, compensatory time, etc., for special or religious holidays not designated by the University in the Absence From Work Policy, Holidays.
All staff members, except employees who are in a bargaining unit that has an exclusive representative (union) and are covered by the applicable provisions of the collective bargaining agreement.
Contract employees may be covered by this policy; refer to the employee's contract to determine applicability.