Physical Environment and Properties

Buildings and Grounds: General Use

Sec. 900-13: Policy on the Sale, Service and Consumption of Alcoholic Beverages

Responsible Administrator: Vice Chancellor - Student Affairs
June 2014

References / Resources

Contact: Hospitality & Dining Services at (949) 824-1492 or food@uci.edu

A. Purpose and Applicability

This policy governs the sale, service and consumption of alcoholic beverages at UCI events and on University premises in accordance with the Policy on Substance Abuse and State laws related to alcoholic beverages. In every instance where alcohol consumption is permitted, the individuals and organizations involved are responsible for ensuring compliance with all applicable local, State, and federal laws, this policy, and other applicable University regulations.

Hospitality & Dining Services (HDS), a unit within Student Affairs, is responsible for the administration of this policy and should be contacted early in the event planning process. HDS offers guidance on UCI approved caterers certified to serve alcoholic beverages and on when the serving of alcohol may not be appropriate for an event.

This policy applies to all events including, but not limited to, those occurring:

On campus in licensed facilities: Phoenix Grille, Bren Events Center, Anteater Ballpark, Anthill Pub & Grille, selected areas of the Student Center
On campus in unlicensed facilities: Aldrich Park, Ring Mall, departmental conference rooms, outdoor plaza areas, fields, the Chancellor's residence when hosting UCI-sponsored events
Off campus on UCI owned or leased property: UC Irvine Medical Center, Anza Borrego research center
Off campus on commercial or private property at events hosted by the University: Hotels, private residences*

* This policy does not cover the non-event serving of alcoholic beverages in private residences on or off campus (such as inside residence hall rooms and residential apartments on University premises) or in commercial establishments when the occasion is not supported by University funds. However, summer conference events held in residential housing are covered by this policy and by UCI Student Housing policies.

B. Definitions

Approving Authority An individual authorized by the Chancellor to approve the serving and selling of alcoholic beverages at UC Irvine events (see list below).
Sponsoring Organization The registered campus organization, department or unit, recognized University support group, or off-campus "renter" organizing an event on University premises. For co-sponsored events, the entity primarily providing the funding.
Event Any activity where alcoholic beverages will be served and where such activity will take place on University premises, use the UC Irvine name or trademarks, and/or be supported by University funds. This includes summer conferences held in residential housing.
Primary Event Representative An individual 21 years of age designated by the Sponsoring Organization to act as their primary contact and to be present at the event to ensure policy compliance.
Event Representative An individual 21 years of age or older designated by the Sponsoring Organization to assist the Primary Event Representative and be present at the event to ensure policy compliance. (1 Event Representative required per 50 attendees.)
Event Location Approver An individual authorized to permit the use of a UCI facility space for an event.
Other Event Sponsor Any other UCI entity or external organization co-hosting an event with a Sponsoring Organization.
Certified Professional Server An individual over 21 years of age or older who has completed an alcohol server training program (such as TIPS® or LEAD) and can provide proof of certification to HDS.

C. Responsibilities and Authority

Only the Approving Authorities listed below can approve a Request to Serve or Sell Alcoholic Beverages.The Approving Authority assumes full responsibility for the event and compliance with this and other applicable University policies. Approving authority may not be redelegated.

UC Irvine Approving Authorities for the Serving and Selling of Alcoholic Beverages
Sponsoring Organization Approving Authority (IDA 552)
Academic Affairs
    Academic Units
Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor; Associate Executive Vice Chancellor
Administrative & Business Services Vice Chancellor; Associate Vice Chancellor
Office of Research
    Organized Research Units
    Special and Other Research Programs
Vice Chancellor; Associate Vice Chancellor
Student Affairs
    Registered Campus Organizations events
    Summer Conference events
Vice Chancellor; Associate Vice Chancellor
    Assistant Vice Chancellor of Student Life & Leadership
    Director, Student Center & Events Services
University Advancement Vice Chancellor
UC Irvine Medical Center Chief Operating Officer

All members of the UC Irvine community and any non-affiliated visitors attending events are expected to be responsible for their drinking behavior and for the consequences of alcohol consumption. Sponsoring Organizations are expected to ensure compliance with State and local laws, as provided by the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC), this policy, and any other applicable regulations.

The Associate Vice Chancellor-Student Affairs serves as the UC Irvine liaison with the ABC (see IDA551 Liquor Licenses for Campus Facilities). Any exceptions to this policy must be approved by the Vice Chancellor-Student Affairs.

D. Policy

  1. Service and Consumption of Alcoholic Beverages

    The service and consumption of alcoholic beverages is permitted only in UC Irvine facilities licensed to serve alcoholic beverages and at UC Irvine events for which a Request to Serve or Sell Alcoholic Beverages has been approved by Hospitality & Dining Services (HDS). Approval of the Request will be contingent upon completion of other requirements, such as obtaining liquor liability insurance and providing Certified Professional Servers.

    1. If the service will take place in a licensed facility, only the licensee can serve or sell alcoholic beverages.
    2. If alcoholic beverages will be sold in an unlicensed facility, a license from the ABC is required. Only a co-sponsoring non-profit or a UCI Approved Caterer can obtain a license for UCI events (see How to Obtain Required Licenses to Sell Alcoholic Beverages at UCI Events).
    3. For caterers not yet approved by UCI, see Section 500, Policy on Contracting for Food and Catering Services for requirements.
    4. Liquor liability insurance is required of all caterers serving alcoholic beverages.
  2. Request to Serve or Sell Alcoholic Beverages

    A completed Request form with the signatures of an Approving Authority and an Event Location Approver must be submitted to HDS for each event and at least 20 business days prior to the event. A diagram of all serving areas must be attached. After HDS approves the Request, HDS will send a copy to the Primary Event Representative, the Event Location Approver, and UCI Police.

    1. No person under 21 years of age and no obviously intoxicated person may be provided an alcoholic beverage. A Request will not be approved for any group where either the majority of the group or their guests is under 21 years of age.
    2. Only wine and malt beverages are permitted at student sponsored or student oriented events.
    3. If additional approval is required from Environmental Health & Safety, Materiel & Risk Management, Transportation & Distribution Services, UCI Police, or any other department, HDS will notify the Sponsoring Organization.
  3. Servers of Alcoholic Beverages
    1. Self-service of alcoholic beverages is permitted only at faculty and staff events:
      • with fewer than 50 attendees
      • where all guests are over the age of 21
      • where no hard liquor will be served, and
      • where no alcoholic beverages will be sold.

      Permitted events include faculty gatherings, department celebrations, and holiday parties. If an event is held in a licensed facility, only the licensee's Certified Professional Servers may serve alcoholic beverages. When an event does not take place in a licensed facility, the monitoring and serving of alcohol must be under the direct supervision of Certified Professional Servers. Hospitality & Dining Services provides a list of Approved Caterers who employ Certified Professional Servers.

    2. Certified Professional Servers are prohibited from consuming alcoholic beverages at an event.
    3. Certified Professional Servers of alcoholic beverages must not be members of or in any way affiliated with the Sponsoring Organization.
    4. Alcohol should not be placed where it is accessible to anyone under 21 years of age.
  4. Event Representatives
    1. The Primary Event Representative must attend the event and, in addition, the Sponsoring Organizations must designate a minimum of 1 Event Representative for every 50 attendees. All Event Representatives must attend the event to assist with policy compliance and must refrain from consuming alcoholic beverages during the event.
    2. The Primary Event Representative and all Event Representative(s) are responsible for ensuring alcoholic beverages remain within the Sponsored Event areas and are not passed to anyone who may be under 21 years of age.
  5. Identification System

    The Approving Authority must require an identification system when attendees under 21 years of age will be present (e.g., wristbands).

  6. Outdoor Serving Area Requirements

    Alcoholic beverages may be consumed only in the location stated on the Request form. Events held outdoors must be sufficiently barricaded to prevent the passing of alcohol to areas outside the approved location and locations where alcohol is permitted must be clearly defined with signage. Entrance and exit pathways must be clearly marked and signs stating "no alcohol beyond this point" posted at all exits. A diagram detailing the layout with approximate dimensions of the outdoor serving area must accompany the Request form submitted to HDS.

  7. Advertising

    No event where alcohol will be served may be advertised, promoted or offered to the public or to the University community as an event where alcoholic beverages will be served. This includes language such as wine and cheese reception, champagne toast, beer garden, event with free wine, dinner with alcohol included or reference to BYOB (bring your own booze/beer/bottle) or any form of drinking contest (such as beer pong, king's cup, or flip cup). It also includes the use of symbols or pictures implying the presence of alcohol at an event.

  8. Availability of Food and Other Beverages

    Sponsoring Organizations must take steps to ensure that the consumption of alcoholic beverages is not the main focus of an event. A variety of non-alcoholic beverages as well as an appropriate amount of food must be made available at all events where alcoholic beverages are served. Non-alcoholic beverages must be featured as prominently as the alcoholic beverages.

  9. Duration of Service of Alcoholic Beverages

    The serving of alcoholic beverages should end at a time that will consider the safety of guests and be stated on the Request form approved by HDS. For events that extend beyond one hour, the actual serving period should be limited to four hours and end approximately one hour prior to the end of the event. Exceptions can be approved only by HDS.

  10. Security and Safety

    Sponsoring Organizations must ensure compliance with all University safety and security policies. This includes complying with EH&S Special Events Program and fire safety requirements, and providing institutionally approved security personnel as specified by the Approving Authority, HDS, and UCI Police.

  11. Fees

    Sponsoring Organizations are responsible for all costs associated with their event (license processing fees, security, Certified Professional Servers, equipment rental, etc.).

  12. Selling Alcoholic Beverages

    In addition to UCI requirements for the serving and consumption of alcoholic beverages, Sponsoring Organizations must also comply with State requirements when selling alcoholic beverages. An alcoholic beverage license from the ABC is required under all circumstances.

    1. What constitutes selling alcoholic beverages?

      Exchanging any consideration for alcoholic beverage service constitutes a sale. "Consideration" includes money, tickets, tokens, or chits that have been issued in exchange for money or anything else of value. This includes, but is not necessarily limited to, a registration fee or monetary donation, service at a cash bar, admission tickets to an event where alcoholic beverages are included in the ticket price, and both presale and onsite tickets to events where alcoholic beverages will be provided along with other amenities, such as food and entertainment.

    2. Pricing

      The price of alcohol sold at events must not be lower than the alcohol's purchase price or at a level to encourage excessive consumption. Donated alcoholic beverages may not be sold for profit.

    3. Approval to Sell

      No individual, group, or campus unit acting in the name of The Regents or in the name of the University may apply for a license to engage in the sale of any alcoholic beverage, including beer. A license to provide and sell alcoholic beverages must be issued to an organization independent of the University, such as a faculty club, food service vendor, alumni group, or other such entity (see IDA 551, Liquor Licenses for Campus Facilities). The Associate Vice Chancellor-Student Affairs is the sole approving authority for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

E. Support from Alcoholic Beverage Manufacturers and Distributors

All alcohol-related sponsorship agreements must be approved by Materiel & Risk Management (see Section 700-10, Policy on Non-Research Sponsorship and Service Agreements). If a donation has been made to support a program, the name of an alcoholic beverage manufacturer or distributor must not be connected to the name of the event itself, but may be listed as a contributor (see Section 700-20, Policy on Use of University Name and Seals, Campus Names and Seal and Trademarks). University property may not be used for commercial purposes except to the extent that the event complements services or programs supporting the University's mission (see Section 900-10, Policy on Use and Scheduling of UC Irvine Properties).

F. Liability and Consequences of Noncompliance

Failure to abide by applicable regulations covering the possession, serving and selling of alcoholic beverages can create personal and organizational liability. Sponsoring Organizations should be aware of their exposure to legal risk when violations of alcoholic beverage laws are permitted at their events.

UCI Police, Risk Management, the Vice Chancellor-Student Affairs, and other officials responsible for ensuring compliance with University policies may recommend consequences for noncompliance. A Sponsoring Organization or individual found in violation of this policy:

  • May be held responsible for any costs incurred by the University due to non-compliance and may be required to pay fines when recommended by University officials and appropriate legal authorities.
  • May have future events cancelled and the Sponsoring Organization or individual restricted from serving alcoholic beverages on UC Irvine premises for a designated period of time..
  • May not be approved if previous events held by the Sponsoring Organization or individual have required repeated Police assistance to control participants, violated any regulations governing the conduct of non-affiliates on UCI premises, or presented situations that the University considered unsafe or unmanageable with reasonable University resources.

G. Implementation

  1. Alcohol Advisory Committee

    An Alcohol Advisory Committee with representatives from Student Affairs, Academic Affairs, Intercollegiate Athletics, Office of Research, School of Medicine, University Advancement, UCI Police, Risk Management, Campus Counsel, Internal Audit, and others as necessary, will be assembled by the Associate Vice Chancellor-Student Affairs to advise on the serving and selling of alcoholic beverages. The Committee will review the policy annually and recommend any revisions to the Vice Chancellor-Student Affairs.

  2. Resources

    Information regarding this policy and alcohol awareness programs will be made available by Hospitality & Dining Services. Any organization that sponsors events where alcoholic beverages are served is encouraged to implement an alcohol awareness program.