UC IRVINE ADMINISTRATIVE POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Physical Environment and Properties
Environmental Health & Safety
Sec. 903-14: Smoke and Tobacco Free Environment Guidelines
Responsible Administrator: Director - Environmental Health & Safety
Revised: January 2014
References / Resources
- California Government Code, Sec. 7596-7598 and Sec. 19994.30-19994.35
- UC Policy - Smoke and Tobacco Free Environment
- UC Policy on Sustainable Practices
Effective January 2, 2014, the University of California issued the systemwide Policy on Smoke and Tobacco Free Environment which requires all UC campuses to implement local policies and procedures. Based on healthcare and environmental considerations, the Policy is intended to provide healthier, safe and productive work and learning environments for the UC community.
UC Irvine is committed to the promotion of health and wellness, which includes prevention as well as treatment of diseases. Smoking-related illness, including those related to tobacco smoke, comprises the largest proportion of preventable diseases. These Guidelines set forth the responsibilities of the members of the UC Irvine community for establishing and maintaining a smoke and tobacco free environment. They apply to all students, staff, faculty, volunteers, and visitors.
UC Irvine endeavors to maintain a safe and healthful environment. As a leader in health-related research, teaching, and patient care, UC Irvine has a special institutional obligation to maintain such an environment. Consistent with this obligation and State law:
- Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, electronic smoking devices (e.g., e-cigarettes, vapor cigarette, personal vaporizer, or PV), and the use of nicotine products not regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for treating nicotine or tobacco dependence, are prohibited on all UC Irvine controlled properties. This includes all indoor and outdoor spaces, including parking lots, in which the University has a 100% ownership interest or an exclusive lease interest.
- Smoking is prohibited inside any vehicle owned, leased, or occupied by UC Irvine (regardless of where the vehicle is situated), and inside any vehicle parked at a location where smoking is prohibited.
- Sale and advertising of tobacco, tobacco-related products, electronic smoking devices, and products related to electronic smoking devices are prohibited on all UC Irvine controlled properties, except for advertising in newspapers, magazines, or other written materials sold, bought, or distributed on UC property.
- Research involving smoking, tobacco products, or tobacco use for educational or clinical purposes may be permitted as required in connection with research approved by the UC Irvine Institutional Review Board.
- Smoking and tobacco use may be permitted for the traditional ceremonial activities of recognized cultural or religious groups.
C. Responsibility for Compliance
Implementation and compliance with the Policy is the responsibility of all academic appointees, staff, students, alumni, vendors, contractors, volunteers and visitors entering University controlled properties. It is the responsibility of Vice Chancellors, Deans, Directors, and department heads to ensure that students and employees under their respective jurisdictions are informed of the Policy. Any conflicts resulting from implementation of the Policy should be brought to the attention of the appropriate supervisory personnel and, if necessary, referred to the appropriate Vice Chancellor, Dean, Director, or department head for a decision.
Any exceptions to the Policy, such as the use of certain products in theatrical productions, require approval by the Director – Environmental Health & Safety.
UC Irvine supports individual efforts to stop smoking and considers education to be an effective method of enforcing the UC Policy. UC Irvine Health Education Center provides stop-smoking kits, printed resources, and other cessation information for all students affected by this policy. UC Irvine Worklife and Wellness Program provides the same resources for all faculty and staff.