UC IRVINE ADMINISTRATIVE POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Business and Financial Affairs
Sec. 705-16: Guidelines for Stationery, Business Cards, and Collateral
Responsible Office: Office of the Chancellor
Revised: February 2009
References / Resources
- California Education Code Section 92000
- UC Policy on Representation of the University on Letterhead and Business Cards, September 28, 1999
- UCI Administrative Policies & Procedures
- Section 700-20, Policy on Use of University Name and Seals, Campus Names and Seal and Trademarks
- Section 700-03, Guidelines for Relations of University Employees with State and Federal Officials
- Section 705-12, Correspondence with State and Federal Officials
- Section 801, Policy on Mail Services, Shipping and Receiving
Contact: Chancellor's Office at (949) 824-5112
University stationery shall be used only in the conduct of University business. University policies on the use of the University's name, the use of the unofficial University seal, restrictions on the use of University resources for political activities, and University employees' correspondence with state and federal officials shall apply to these guidelines in accordance with Section 92000 of the State Education Code.
University policy governs design specifications and use for stationery, envelopes and business cards at UCI. For policies related to other printed material, refer to University Communications' Graphic Identity Standards.
A. Approved Stationery Format
- Official University of California Stationery
The format adopted by the Office of the President incorporates the unofficial seal and a double rule enclosing the names of all campuses. The design, including the unofficial seal, typefaces, type sizes, and colors may not be altered, nor may it include photographs or additional artwork.
- Typeface: Times Roman is the only typeface used for official University of California stationery at UCI.
- Color: Official University of California stationery is printed in black ink. For the Chancellor, Vice Chancellors, and Chief Executive Officer of UC Irvine Medical Center, the unofficial seal may be printed in blue (only printer color blue, PMS 287).
Official University of California stationery must be used by all campus units. Questions about exceptions to the official stationery policy should be directed to the Office of the Chancellor.
- Business Cards
University business cards may be provided to employees and graduate students who are determined by administrative or academic units to need them in the execution of their official duties. Business cards of the University must incorporate the approved unofficial seal, printed in blue, black or (for executive level only) gold ink.
- Internal Memos
Because of computer printing and recycling, internal memo paper is rarely purchased but, when it is, a consistent campus image should be maintained.
The name of the campus (UCI) and the office name is printed in all capital letters (Times Roman typeface, 8 point), flush right, 3/4-inch from the top of the page. It is not necessary to place "University of California (for internal use only)" at the bottom of internal memos.
- Printing Specifications
Recycled 8-1/2 x 11, 20# white bond is used for printing internal memo paper; in black ink only. Pre-printed memo paper may be ordered through Procurement Services.
- Recycled Paper Logo
The recycled paper logo is not to be included on stationery.
B. Identifying Information
Location of names, titles, departments and addresses on stationery and business cards is dictated by University policy. The following information may be included on letterhead stationery and business cards:
- Official Title*
- Department Name
- Unit Name
- Nine-digit Zip Code
- Telephone Number
- Fax Number
- E-Mail Address
- Internet Address
- *only executive level staff on stationery
To ensure that envelopes and address formats are acceptable to the U.S. Postal Service, the top line of the return address should read: University of California, Irvine. Changing postal regulations can affect campus addresses and address formats. See Section 801-10 for further information on proper address formats.
C. Paper Stock and Recycling
- All stationery and collateral should be printed on white paper to accommodate recycling.
- Blue paper is no longer used for on-campus memos.
- Manila envelopes should not be used for off-campus correspondence.
- Letterhead and envelopes for all stationery should be printed on 24# Capitol Bond white paper stock, which is a recycled sheet. Information on ordering blank reams may be obtained from Procurement Services.
- Recycled paper should be used whenever possible for additional collateral materials.
D. Computer-Generated Printing
- Official stationery may be printed on laser printers, in black ink only.
- Unaltered artwork may be used on proper paper stock. The unofficial seal is available via e-mail in various formats from University Communications for importing into compatible page-layouts.
- Design specifications may not be altered.
- Reproduction by dot matrix printer or photocopier is not permitted as it significantly reduces quality.
E. Collateral Pieces
Other stationery pieces have been formatted to assist offices in preparing correspondence materials in a consistently professional manner. Contact Procurement Services for information on ordering:
- Mailing Labels (Preprinted on Avery label stock #6547, with six labels on each sheet for use in printers or typewriters, to use with oversized envelopes and parcels. Service will be first class unless otherwise indicated on the label.)
F. Ordering Stationery and Business Cards
Approved stationery formats and order forms for letterhead, envelopes, and business cards are available online.