UC IRVINE ADMINISTRATIVE POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Business and Financial Affairs
Computing and Information Systems
Sec. 714-17: Using University Administrative Information Systems
Responsible Office: Office of Information Technology (OIT)
Revised: June 2005 (reviewed August 2006)
References / Resources
- UC Business and Finance Bulletins
- UCI Administrative Policies & Procedures
- Section 720-10, Information from Public Records (California Public Records Act) - Guidelines
- Section 720-11, Privacy of and Access to Information (Excluding Student Records) - Guidelines
- Section 714-15, Policy on Accessing University Administrative Information Systems
- Section 714-16, Procedure on Accessing University Administrative Information Systems
Contact: Office of Information Technology Help Desk at (949) 824-8500
A. Password Selection
- Passwords should be six to eight characters long and can use a combination of alphanumeric and the following special characters: @, #, and $. Blank spaces should not be included.
- Passwords should be easy to remember.
- Passwords that combine alphabetic and numeric characters are encouraged.
- When selecting a password DO NOT use:
- campus ID number
- dictionary words
- names of people (last, first, or middle)
- names of pets
- birth dates
- portions of social security numbers
- logon ID
- license plates
- any other information which might be easy for someone to guess
B. Password Security
Maintaining the confidentiality of passwords is critical to preventing misuse, intrusion, and theft. Each user is personally responsible for the use of his/her logon ID and password.
- Do not display or write down your password.
- Do not share your confidential password with anyone, including supervisors, co-workers, family members, or friends.
- Do not store your password on a workstation as part of an automated logon process.
- Change your regular workstation password after you have used it to log on from an off-campus, public workstation (e.g., at Kinko's or a hotel)
If there is reason to suspect that password confidentiality has been compromised, the user is responsible for changing his/her password immediately and reporting the suspicion to the Office of Information Technology Services Help Desk at (949) 824-8500.
C. Password Expiration
IBM passwords automatically expire in 90 days. The user is prompted at that time to enter a new password. Passwords must be unique for 13 generations; therefore, 13 unique passwords must be used before the first one can be re-used.
D. Invalid Logon Attempts
When a user attempts to logon with a valid logon ID and an incorrect password, the system responds with the message "Password invalid." Ten such attempts result in cancellation of the logon ID. Contact the Office of Information Technology Services Help Desk at 824-8500 for assistance.
After 45 minutes of inactivity, the user is logged off automatically.
F. Getting Help
On-line help is available on most applications by pressing < F1 >.
Help is available from the Office of Information Technology Help Desk at (949) 824-8500 from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.