UC IRVINE ADMINISTRATIVE POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Physical Environment and Properties
Buildings and Grounds: General Use
Sec. 900-11: Guidelines for Scheduling Campus Properties through Student Center & Event Services
Responsible Administrator: Associate Vice Chancellor - Student Affairs
Issued: May 2010
References / Resources
- UCI Administrative Policies & Procedures
- Section 900-10, Policy on Use and Scheduling of UC Irvine Properties
Contact: UCI Student Center & Event Services at (949) 824-5252
Student Center & Event Services schedules all general outdoor space and Conference Center space in the Student Center. This includes Ring Mall spaces, plazas, lawn areas, fields, Aldrich Park, and Student Center Terrace Stage. Student Center management determines which properties can be reserved for events and when campus priorities require rescheduling a reservation. When this occurs, every effort is made to ensure the rescheduled group's ability to have a successful program.
See Section 900-10, Policy on Use and Scheduling of UC Irvine Properties for requirements and restrictions applying to all users of University property.
B. Scheduling Guidelines
- Reservations for Registered Campus Organizations (RCO) must be made in person by a student authorized to sign for the organization. Authorized individuals must first consult a Student Center & Event Services planner to complete necessary forms and receive policy and procedural information related to their event. Only students authorized for the current and upcoming year are allowed to make advance-year reservations.
- Space reservations are tentative until confirmed by a Student Center & Event Services planner via e-mail or other written communication.
- The tentative reservation must then be confirmed by the sponsor with all details finalized at least 10 days before the event or the reservation may be canceled.
- Events requiring security must be scheduled at least 10 days in advance of the event.
- Reservations made less than three working days before the event are charged a $25.00 late fee.
- Rate Group 1 meeting room reservation hours cannot exceed 30 hours per quarter; as reservations occur or are cancelled, additional ones can be made.
- Rate Group 1 is not charged a rental fee for meeting rooms with a standard set-up. Rate Groups 2 and 3 are charged a rental fee for use of Student Center facilities.
- For meetings that will take place weekly in an upcoming quarter, reservations can be made by Rate Group 1 beginning Week 7 of the previous quarter and by Rate Group 2 beginning Week 9 of the previous quarter.
- RCOs can reserve rooms for weekly meetings occurring on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday evenings between 5:00 pm and 11:00 pm by submitting a weekly meeting request form. The process takes place in Week 6 of the previous quarter; an email reminder is sent to all RCOs a week before the submission deadline. An RCO can submit only one entry form. If more than one form is submitted, all entries from that organization will be void OR only the first entry will be accepted.
- To provide regularly scheduled entertainment, ASUCI and AGS can hold up to ten reservations for special events per quarter; all other organizations can reserve only two dates at any given time.
- Space to be used during the academic year may be reserved up to one year in advance. Space needed for the summer (June 16 through September 15) may be scheduled as far in advance as needed, with consideration given to the Room Reservation Priority.
- Residence halls may be used for summer residential conferences by any group, with approval, from late June to the end of August. All reservations are made on a space-available basis. Arrangements must be stated in a letter of agreement and confirmed in writing by the Director of Student Center & Event Services. Student Center & Event Services will make the facility and support services arrangements, and provide the fee assessments and billing.
- From October 1 through June 15, non-University groups may not schedule general assignment properties, such as classrooms and lecture halls, more than three months prior to an event.
- Clients requesting outdoor space reservations consisting of more than five spaces must submit an Outdoor Special Event Proposal at least three weeks prior to the event. If approved, a Student Center & Event Services Event Planner will determine the location of the event and the number of spaces to be allocated based on the needs of the event.
- Displays in outdoor spaces and Ring Mall areas are limited to a height of 10 feet in high pedestrian traffic areas. Displays might not be permitted in certain areas of campus due to pedestrian traffic flow and/or safety reasons. Requests for events with displays over 10 feet high will be reviewed and may be accommodated in an area of the campus other than the one requested.
C. Student Center Use Fee
Sponsors of events held in the UC Irvine Student Center must pay a Use Fee based on the type of organization (Rate Group) and the activity.
|Fee Schedule (FS)|
|Rate Group 1||Rate Group 2||Rate Group 3|
|Regular meetings||FS 1||FS 2||FS 3|
|Event charging admission||FS 1||FS 3||FS 3|
|Events co-sponsored by an RCO and campus department||FS 2||FS 2||N/A|
|Event co-sponsored by an off-campus organization and any campus entity||FS 3||FS 3||FS 3|
Rate Group 1: Registered Campus Organizations (RCO), ASUCI, AGS, Medical Student Organization, UCI Bookstore, UCI Computer Store, Hospitality and Dining Services, and Student Center administration.
Rate Group 2: Student Center tenants and affiliates and programming departments (for example, Office of the Dean of Students, Health Education, Center for Service in Action, LBGTRC, International Center, Disability Services Center), student related organizations, university departments, Staff Assembly, other UC campuses, Office of the President and recognized unions.
Rate Group 3: Affiliated individuals, off-campus organizations and non-affiliated individuals.
Following an event, if it is determined that the event was co-sponsored, the co-sponsoring organization will be billed accordingly.