UC IRVINE DELEGATION OF AUTHORITY
IDA572 - Protection of Human and Animal Subjects
March 13, 2017
ASSOCIATE VICE CHANCELLOR–RESEARCH ENGAGEMENT
ASSOCIATE VICE CHANCELLOR–RESEARCH ADMINISTRATION
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR–RESEARCH PROTECTIONS
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR–SPONSORED PROJECTS ADMINISTRATION
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR– SPONSORED PROJECTS ADMINISTRATION
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR–CLINICAL TRIALS, SPONSORED PROJECTS ADMINISTRATION
CONTRACT AND GRANT OFFICERS
CHAIRS–INSTITUTIONAL REVIEW BOARD
CHAIR–INSTITUTIONAL ANIMAL CARE AND USE COMMITTEE
RE: Delegation of Authority - Protection of Human and Animal Subjects
Chancellors' authority regarding human subjects is set forth in the University Policy on the Protection of Human Subjects in Research, dated September 2, 1981; and regarding animal subjects in the University Policy on the Use of Animals in Research and Teaching, dated October 15, 1984. I am redelegating the authorities set forth in these policies as follows:
- The Vice Chancellor–Research is delegated the overall authority and responsibility to oversee and administer all aspects of the Animal Research Program and the Human Subjects Research Program as UCI’s Institutional Official.
- The Associate Vice Chancellor–Research Engagement is the Institutional Official’s designee and is delegated the same authority and responsibility as the Institutional Official.
- The Associate Vice Chancellor–Research Administration is delegated the authority and responsibility to appoint IRB and IACUC committee members; and sign as an authorized institutional official on single-protocol authorization agreements, master authorization agreements, interinstitutional agreements, individual investigator agreements, renewals of and addenda to government assurances, correspondence to government regulatory offices, NIH certificates of confidentially, and all documents (including proposal and/or award-specific documents) pertaining to the protection of research subjects.
- The Executive Director–Research Protections is delegated the authority and responsibility to appoint IRB and IACUC committee members; and sign as an authorized institutional official on single-protocol authorization agreements, individual investigator agreements, renewals of and addenda to government assurances, and all documents pertaining to the protection of research subjects not specifically related to proposals and awards for research and training.
- The Executive Director–Sponsored Projects, Associate Director–Sponsored Projects, Assistant Director–Clinical Trials, Sponsored Projects, and Contract and Grant Officers are delegated the authority to sign as an authorized institutional official on all proposal and/or award-specific documents pertaining to the protection of human and animal subjects related to research and training.
- The Vice Chancellor–Research, Associate Vice Chancellor–Research Engagement, the Chair–IRB or Chair–IACUC are delegated the authority to immediately halt research activities when, in their judgement there is an emergency situation resulting from a potential violation of the regulations pertaining to the use of human or animal subjects in research activities, and to suspend such research activities until the situation can be thoroughly investigated by the Vice Chancellor and/or applicable regulatory committee.
This authority may not be further redelegated, and supersedes IDA 399, dated April 6, 2005, on the same subject.
|C:||Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor
Vice Chancellor–Health Affairs and CEO, UCI Health System
Associate Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor
Dean–School of Medicine
Vice Provost–Graduate Education and Dean of Graduate Division
Chairs–Institutional Review Board
Chair–Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee
Director–University Laboratory Animal Resources
Office of Campus Counsel