UC IRVINE DELEGATION OF AUTHORITY
IDA605 - Controlled Substances Program: Program Administrator
October 30, 2018
CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES PROGRAM ADMINISTRATOR–ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH & SAFETY
CHIEF PROCUREMENT OFFICER AND DIRECTOR–PROCUREMENT SERVICES
CHIEF PHARMACY OFFICER–UC IRVINE MEDICAL CENTER
RE: Redelegation of Authority - Controlled Substance Program Administration
As the Responsible Official designated October 18, 2018 in IDA 604, I hereby delegate to the Controlled Substance Program Administrator–Environmental Health & Safety (Program Administrator) authority and responsibility for the day-to-day implementation and management of the UCI Controlled Substances Program for controlled substances used in research, in accordance with University of California Policy BFB-BUS-50: Controlled Substances, the Controlled Substances Act, and regulations promulgated thereunder and any other applicable federal or State law.
The Program Administrator’s responsibilities, per BFB-BUS-50, include, but are not limited to:
- Establishing and maintaining the Controlled Substance Program and overseeing the procurement, disposition, storage and disposal of controlled substances, Schedule II-V, used in research.
- Coordinating controlled substances biennial inventory accordance with Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) regulations.
- Auditing the use of controlled substances to ensure all applicable regulatory requirements are met and authority to immediately stop work involving diversion of controlled substances with the support and notification of EH&S Executive Director.
- Signing all DEA registrations on behalf of any University department.
- As appropriate, granting a power of attorney to controlled substances purchasers to obtain and execute order forms for controlled substances (i.e., DEA Form 222).
The Chief Procurement Officer and Director–Procurement Services or designee, and the Chief Pharmacy Officer–UC Irvine Medical Center or designee, will be responsible for procuring controlled substances and listed precursor chemicals used in research and authorized University activities in accordance with BFB-BUS-50 and UCI campus and medical center policies.
All actions taken by the Program Administrator prior to the date hereof consistent with this delegation and concerning the responsibilities delegated through this delegation of authority are confirmed and ratified.
This authority may not be further redelegated and supersedes Associate Vice Chancellor–A&BS Macias' February 23, 2010, delegation of authority, IDA 477, on the same subject.
Pramod P. Khargonekar
Vice Chancellor of Research
|cc:||Executive Director–EH&S, Risk Services, UCOP
Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor
Vice Chancellor–Division of Finance and Administration
Chief Operating Officer–UCI Health System
Associate Vice Chancellor–Research Administration
Assistant Vice Chancellor–Accounting & Fiscal Services
Office of Campus Counsel