UC IRVINE ADMINISTRATIVE POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Sec. 800-20: ZotMail Guidelines
Responsible Office: Office of Information Technology
Revised: May 2020
References / Resources
- University of California
- UCI Administrative Policies & Procedures
Contact: Office of Information Technology at (949) 824-2222 or firstname.lastname@example.org
A. Purpose and Scope
ZotMail is a web-based messaging system used to transmit authorized official business messages to selected groups of employees, students, and affiliates at UCI. Official business messages include official University and campus business memos, publications, announcements, and newsletters.
ZotMail enables authorized administrators, including staff in the offices of the Chancellor, Vice Chancellors, and Deans to send messages to desired groups using a password-protected interface.
B. Responsibilities and Authorities
- OIT is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the ZotMail system. For assistance contact OIT at (949) 824-2222 or email@example.com. UCI has the UCI Mailing Lists Mailman system also managed by the Office of Information Technology.
- The Chancellor, the Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor, and some other officials have the ability to use the ZotMail system to reach the entire UCI community as part of the emergency communication plan and to transmit mandatory official business messages.
- Employees, students, and affiliates are able to use their UCInet ID and password on a web interface to manage their subscriptions. Messages deemed mandatory will be sent regardless of subscription settings.
C. Zotmail Recipient Lists
New employees (career, limited, contract) and students are added to ZotMail recipient lists as soon as they have a valid email address. They are automatically included on all recipient lists.
D. ZotMail Use Guidelines
Senders should respect recipients by using the most directly related mailing list to avoid unnecessary network traffic and unwanted messages.
- Announcing Campus Events and Activities
- Strategic Communications maintains the UCI Today website. This is the preferred vehicle for communicating announcements of activities and events. To contribute items, please visit http://today.uci.edu/event/create.
- Sending duplicate or reminder messages is not allowed unless the second message is to correct information contained in the first message.
- Messages sent on behalf of registered student organizations must have written approval from the Vice Chancellor-Student Affairs.
- Content Restrictions
Electronic messages must adhere to all University policies. No materials delivered through the ZotMail system shall:
- advocate an individual's or organization's political or religious position;
- imply University or campus endorsement, support, or opposition to a political, religious, or civic issue, or any non-University products, service, organization, or activity that has not been appropriately authorized by the Chancellor or designee (a copy of the authorization shall be sent to the ZotMail Communications Coordinator); or
- be of a commercial nature that solicits, or would provide, personal and/or financial profit to a University employee or to a profit-making organization.
E. ZotMail Assistance
The ZotMail Communications Coordinator provides training and support to individuals authorized to send ZotMail from owner accounts.For assistance and general ZotMail support:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with 'ZotMail' in the subject line; or
- Call OIT at (949) 824-2222.